Tuesday 30 December 2014

Richard Tuttle: The Weave of Textile Language

I went to the TATE Modern predominantly for the Sigmar Polke exhibition but was glad of the fact I could see this installation at the same time. As someone who really enjoys textiles mainly in the construction of clothing, this piece by Richard Tuttle really interested me. I loved the attention to detail when it came to sourcing his fabric. The richness of the colours are beautiful and it is just such an intriguing piece. I love the mix of material and the way you can see how the wood was joined together. The spaces in between the panels of wood work really well. I think it is lovely how Tuttle has managed to capture so many of the ways that fabrics can be manipulated; the draping, the hanging, the bunching and gathering. I also thought it was interesting how the whole piece hung. You would've thought the red section would be planted on the floor, but it hung almost awkwardly. Despite this, I think it was an awkwardness that really worked. The composition of all the different components was so effective and it filled the Turbine Hall beautifully. It also made for a lovely thing to photograph as I am really loving the opportunity to use such a lovely camera. I really tried to capture it from all angles, using all available viewing spaces to take pictures and I am pleased with the outcomes. 








No comments:

Post a Comment